- This page is archived in the ISM Google Docs Metadata folder. Membership in the ism_planning Google Group is required for access.
- "Data about Data", in other words, data that describes some data item
- Metadata Schema
- An organized, formal framework for metadata descriptors, a metadata schema controls the kinds of statements you can even make.
- "schema" is a formally-defined set of metadata elements. The meaning (semantics) of the elements are predefined, constraining the kinds of statements that can be made about a resource. There are usually requirements or recommendations for how to select values for elements.
- Controlled Vocabulary
- a way of controlling or limiting the terms that are used in a statement
- Entity & Relationships
|Scope note||Study of gathering, etc. info|
|Broader term||(fields & disciplines)|
|Narrower term||Archival Science, Informatics, etc.|
|Related terms||Cognitive Science, Computer Sci., etc.|
|Use for||Library & Info Science, etc.|
- In IS & CS, the term is related to, but not quite the same as in philosophy.
- IS & CS tend to to include the entire universe, while philosophy is concerned with everything. So, in IS & CS, 'ontology' goes beyond a thesaurus in terms of controlled vocabulary.
- They have a list of terms used in a domain, but go beyond hierarchies to include more complicated relationships between/among the terms included in the definition.
- Ontologies can also include 'inferences' or rules that define what additional facts can be implied if other facts are known.
- Ontologies can be used to develop computer algorithms.
- a way or system that describes how things are related. http://taxonomywarehouse.com has a comprehensive list of metadata schemas.
- Dublin Core
- See About Dublin Core
- a category of statement
- data provided in the statement or element
- Element-Value Pair
- the totality of the statement
- DCMI Abstract Model
- Dublin Core Metadata Initiative Abstract Model
- This model goes from the smallest unit, the property or value, to the largest, the vocabulary scheme. Any metadata scheme can be built on this model.