Welcome to the ISM's Wiki
- The International Spaceflight Museum is operated by ISMuseum, a Texas non-profit corporation-, and now a US 501(c)(3) tax-exempt non-profit as well. It is a virtual museum with no Real Life, brick-and-mortar locations.
- From its beginnings, the mission of the ISM has been to create full-scale, accurate 3D models of spacecraft and supporting objects, such as models of planets and other astronomical objects. Also, we strive to make interactive displays that show physical principles and other information relevant to astronomy, space exploration and related technologies and phenomena.
- Our collection, which is always growing, includes models of rockets from many space-faring nations and private organizations, space probes, telescopes and satellites, planets, moons, asteroids, comets, stars and galaxies. Whenever practical we also offer background information about these objects using a variety of methods in order to make our museum an interesting and educational destination, as well as a visually exciting and pleasant place to visit.
- To organize our collection, and provide a useful contribution to the archival community, we are creating a specialized vocabulary and metadata scheme for virtual 3D objects. Ultimately all our exhibits and supporting objects will be documented using this metadata scheme.
- As well as offering free-to-visit online virtual museum locations, we plan to create downloadable copies of selected exhibits to share with individuals and educators. In the near future, we plan to offer these files using OpenSim OAR and IAR formats.
- In addition to its static displays and interactive exhibits, the ISM from time to time hosts events such as lectures, tours, launch parties (when we gather in front of a large screen to witness significant spacecraft launches that are broadcast via the Web), concerts and conferences. Visit this page for a list of past and future events.
- The ISM presently has publicly accessible locations on two grids: SecondLife and Kitely, and planning to expand even further throughout the metaverse. Visit the Locations page for details.
Getting started with MediaWiki
Consult the User's Guide for information on using the wiki software.