ISM's Specialized Vocabulary
These are the specialized terms that are required for ISM's metadata schema that cannot be found in other standard schemas.
General Information about Terms (or Elements)
See this page to read about the rationale for reusing existing terms, and following sections about creating new terms.
- "If suitable terms can be found in existing vocabularies, these should be reused to describe data wherever possible, rather than reinvented. Reuse of existing terms is highly desirable as it maximises the probability that data can be consumed by applications that may be tuned to well-known vocabularies, without requiring further pre-processing of the data or modification of the application."
DCMI 15 Elements
See this page for detailed definitions and usage suggestions for Dublin Core terms.
- For the purpose of our project, the "dc:" prefix is used to make it very clear that these are DCMI terms, which is the standard procedure.
Omeka Predefined Terms
The Web app we plan to use to make our metadata widely available has guidelines for using the Dublin Core terms within the app.
- See this page for the definitions of all the terms and their usage in Omeka.
- NASA Thesaurus
- This thesaurus contains the authorized subject terms by which the documents in the NASA STI Databases are indexed and retrieved.
- Gale Aeronautics & Astronautics Thesaurus
- design, construction, and operation of aircraft and spacecraft, and the technologies and processes that apply directly to the science of flight
- Aerospace & High Technology Thesaurus
- aeronautics, astronautics, and space sciences, as well as technology development and applications in complementary and supporting fields such as chemistry, geosciences, physics, communications, and electronics
- Creative Commons Namespace
- Used for CC license information
ISM's Proposed Terms
At least until our schema is registered with some standards organization, we will use the prefix "ism:[term]" for our vocabulary terms.